SMED means Single Minute Exchange of Die and describes the tool change within less than 10 minutes. Most tool changes generate machine downtime. To prevent machine downtime during a tool change, SMED-activities push torwards to improve the equipment change-over conditions
How to do SMED?
To reduce the red marked time span, internal and external change-over has to be separated first and eliminated after.
What means separation of internal and external processes?
- Sketch the current changeover process on a timeline
- Mark all processes which must stay internal for now
- Mark those processes which could be switched to external processes
- External processes have to be performed before the actual changeover starts
- Perform kaizen activities to improve the remaining internal processes